Lauren Caplan serves as senior counsel of Klavens Law Group, P.C. and co-chair of the firm’s impact investing and social finance practice. Lauren counsels a wide range of companies including private investment fund sponsors and advisers, start-up and early stage companies in both traditional and social enterprise sectors, and tax-exempt organizations. She advises on fund formation and capital raising activities, and works with institutional investors in connection with their investments in private funds and impact vehicles. She counsels clients on hybrid nonprofit/for-profit structures and works across sectors to implement innovative financing structures in the impact investing space. Lauren also has experience in a broad range of corporate matters including corporate governance, transactional and other outside general counsel services.
More specifically, Lauren has represented fund sponsors in the formation and operation of private investment funds, and has represented institutional investors, including endowments, foundations and other tax-exempt entities, in the review and negotiation of U.S. and non-U.S. investments in private funds and separate accounts. She has experience structuring and advising on customized investment advisory relationships, including those designed to support socially responsible investments and integration of environmental, social and governance factors.
Prior to joining Klavens Law Group, Lauren was General Counsel of Greenworks Lending, a company that provides financing for solar and energy efficiency upgrades of commercial properties. Lauren managed the structuring and negotiation of Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) project financings and advised states and municipalities on draft PACE legislation and regulation.
Lauren was previously Assistant General Counsel of Commonfund, an investment manager with over $25 billion in assets under management.
Lauren has been a practicing attorney since 2005 and began her legal career as a corporate associate at Chadbourne & Parke in London and New York City.
Lauren is a graduate of Harvard College (BA) and Georgetown University Law center (JD), and is admitted to practice in New York and Connecticut.
Lauren has written and spoken about responsible investing and the intersection of corporate social responsibility and the capital markets. For a list of selected publications and speaking engagements, click here.
- ESG: Overcoming Obstacles to Adoption with panelists including Jean Rogers from Sustainability Accounting Standards Board and John Streur from Calvert Investments, March 2015 (Moderator)
- Impact Investing: Balancing the Best of Responsibility and Opportunity, March 2015 (Moderator)
- ESG: Sharpening the Point, Implementing Responsible Investing at Your Institution, May 2014, Insight Online
- From SRI to ESG: the Changing World of Responsible Investing, September 2013, Commonfund Institute White Paper
- ESG and Your Institution: Doing Well by Doing Good, Spring/Summer 2013, Insight Magazine
- Regulating the Levers of Globalization: Integrating Corporate Social Responsibility into the Capital-Raising Process, Corporate Social and Human Rights Responsibilities: Global Legal and Management Perspectives, Palgrave Macmillan, 2011
- Speaker and Panelist, MIT Enterprise Forum of CT, 2010 and CT Social Venture Lab, 2009